Sunday, April 6, 2008

Hello!

Hello all. I am not sure why I decided to create one of these. Maybe to share my deep, Freudian feelings? Probably not. I have recently switched my major to English, and I feel that the best way to go about improving my writing is to...write!

"But Jeff, why are you an English major? Didn't you suck at writing and English in high school?"

Yes, this is very true. I think my grades in English classes were C, B, C, C in chronological order. Come to think of it, my grades in all of my classes (except for weight training) were usually B-C average, with the exception of maybe one or two A's. At New Bern, I did not take education seriously and was more concerned about playing football and leaving New Bern. My goals changed when I came to school.

When I came to East Carolina, education became a serious priority. I started out as a Sports Studies major, then switched to Physical Education. After two semesters of desiring to be a PE teacher, I realized I was boxing myself into one job, one career, with limited amounts of opportunity regarding money or self-fulfillment. I decided that I wanted to go beyond my boxed in world, and obtain a true liberal-arts education. I switched to Psychology because I enjoy the subject, and wanted to arm myself with knowledge about the people around me. After one semester in Psychology, I realized that I missed my English classes that I was in all three previous semesters.

"You missed your English classes?" Yes. Thanks to Dr. Schlobin, I have become more than able to write in formal prose and do research. Thanks to Dr. Montgomery, I have gained skills to read and understand what is going on in literature. This semester, I have missed being in those classes and partaking in the critical analysis and learning that their classes provided me.

Even thought I have learned to read critically and write well, I have a long way to go to be where I want to. I hope with a few more years of school and personal study, I will get closer to my goal.

"What are you going to do with an English degree?" Good question. I do not specifically know. I understand English majors obtain jobs in fields such as publishing, editing, teaching, writing, law, and business. I believe earning a degree in English will arm me for more than one career (on average, people have between 4-6 different jobs before they retire).

Well, for those of you who do not know me, this is a little bit about me. For those of you who do know me, this is an update on my life.

I hope to have more posts up about something interesting, maybe even controversial. :)

No comments: