Sunday, September 7, 2008

Good-bye Facebook

"Jeff, why in the heck did you delete your Facebook page?"

Simple.

Actually, not so simple, but after I explain, I hope you'll see how it is simple. Summing it up in to three reasons will be the easiest way to answer your question (if you in fact care). First, Facebook was a HUGE waste of my time. Second, it was an overkill on communication and keeping in touch. Third, and finally, Facebook takes away the human element that is so vital to communication.

Being on Facebook has wasted countless hours of my time, maybe even days. I can safely say that I logged on at least three times a day for AT LEAST ten minutes at a time. I would say on the average day I wasted at least an hour on Facebook. Since I've had Facebook for the past three years, I've wasted, I'm guessing, about 1095 hours logged on to Facebook (this might be too high of a guess, but hey, I'm trying to pursuade you). Wow. Since I've only been enrolled at East Carolina for roughly 360 of these days (two school years at ABOUT 180 days a year, not including summer. I'm at the beginning of my third year, so I've managed to save myself). If I would have used 1/4 of those hours studying or doing something productive, I would have a 4.0 GPA. If I spent 1/4 of those volunteering on campus or actually helping someone in my community, the world would be a better place. If I would have spent 1/4 of those hours taking in campus activities, I would have gotten more bang from my buck by taking in the entire college experience. If I would have spent 1/4 of those hours actually talking to people FACE TO FACE, I would have better relationships, and even possibly, a girlfriend!

Facebook is also, simply, an overkill on communication. People have asked me "How in the Hell am I supposed to get in touch with you?" Simple: e-mail me, write me, call me, instant-message me, or Heaven forbid, come talk to me face to face. Facebook is not necessary for ANY of these tasks. Facebook has pictures, applications (which, my God, are ludicrous as best), bumper stickers, and other retarded shit that is simply overkill. I will admit, however, that the groups were good for networking with other people around the globe who had similar interests as myself. This feature was not worth the entire Facebook package, as I can simply find groups and feeds on discussion questions by searching on Google.

Facebook has taken away the human element in communications. A number of people that I know (and I have been guilty of this myself) look people up on Facebook to learn about them. People who do this can probably tell you more about the person than their parents just because they've looked through other people's pictures, groups, and interests on Facebook. Facestalking! Many other people just comment back and forth when they live two doors down from one another. I had, I'm guessing, over 200 friends on Facebook. I probably communicated with five of them on a daily basis, 10-20 of them on a weekly basis, 21-100 on a biannual basis, and 101-200 were probably never contacted or contacted me after adding me as a friend. A person who I barely even know has the ability to look through my profile, look at my groups, form an opinion on my political, religious, social, and philisophical views as well as my likes, dislikes, and personality without ever talking face to face with me. You might ask "But Jeff, you can simply deny a random friend request." You are absolutely correct, and I normally do just that. The 101-199 people that I'm referring to are people that I've maybe met once or twice, or who I used to know well, but no longer talk to. Human interaction with one another is essential to the human psyche. Facebook does NOT fill that gap.


I am glad to be ridden of my Facebook. I sometimes type Facebook.com in to my browser. It was a bad habit, and I'm glad it is starting to die off. I now have more free time to play my guitar, read, study, learn new things, attend campus events, hang out with my friends, talk to my parents on the phone, proofread my work before handing it in, working out, and closing my eyes for a few moments and enjoying some solitude.


I also will not miss the fifty or so "Happy Birthday" posts I get from people who wouldn't have even known it was my birthday if it was not for the feed on the side. I love a good weed out.

No comments: